1[124ASedition.--Whoever by words, either spoken or written, or by signs, or by visible
representation, or otherwise, brings or attempts to bring into hatred or contempt, or excites or attempts to
excite disaffection towards, 2*** the Government established by law in 3[India], 4*** shall be punished
with 5[imprisonment for life], to which fine may be added, or with imprisonment which may extend to
three years, to which fine may be added, or with fine.
Explanation 1.-- The expression "disaffection" includes disloyalty and all feelings of enmity.Explanation 2.--Comments expressing disapprobation of the measures of the Government with a
view to obtain their alteration by lawful means, without exciting or attempting to excite hatred, contempt
or disaffection, do not constitute an offence under this section.Explanation 3.--Comments expressing disapprobation of the administrative or other action of the
Government without exciting or attempting to excite hatred, contempt or disaffection, do not constitute an
offence under this section.]
1. Ins. by Act 27 of 1870, s. 5 and subs. by Act 4 of 1898, s. 4, for s. 124A.
2. The words "Her Majesty or" omitted by the A.O. 1950. The words or the Crown Representative ins. after the word
"Majesty" by the A. O. 1937 were omitted by the A. O. 1948.
3. The words British India have successively been subs. by the A. O. 1948, the A. O. 1950 and Act 3 of 1951, s. 3 and
the Sch., to read as above.
4. The words or British Burma ins. by the A. O. 1937 and omitted by the A. O 1948.
5. Subs. by Act 26 of 1955, s. 117 and the Sch., for transportation for life or any shorter term (w.e.f. 1-1-1956).